How to answer questions at the high-level facilitative dialogue on enhancing ambition, a 101.
Where should Parties be with regards to mitigation ambition by 2020, and what should the factors for success be?
- All Parties—particularly developed countries—need to take more action by 2020, including providing more support to developing countries.
- Many Parties are on track to over-achieve their 2020 targets, which should be welcomed by the COP, but it should also be noted that over-achievement opens the door for more ambitious targets in the future.
- In addition to stronger near-term efforts and future targets, Parties should be participating in meaningful initiatives e.g. on renewable energy.
- Stronger political will and a spirit of cooperation are important factors for success. They have enabled the Paris Agreement’s early entry into force, and now need to be applied to enhance action pre-2020.
What immediate domestic steps should countries take to raise overall ambition, and how can these be facilitated?
- Announce at least one of these: fossil fuel subsidy reform, public funds divestment from fossil fuels, coal phase out, new fossil fuel infrastructure cancelling, efficiency standards increases, renewable energy support, affordable and attractive public transport, natural forest retainment and restoration, agricultural practice improvements, or reduction in wasteful consumption.
... Read more ...